With pregnancy, everything changes, including your skin care routine. I got rid of aggressive chemicals and exfoliants from the time I was trying to conceive. Maybe I am paranoid, but I wanted my body to be free of as many chemicals as possible. Since I have been pregnant, I have been lucky that my skin hasn’t gone haywire, breaking out or becoming blotchy. It has become more dry, which also partly due to winter here in the northeast. But I am trying to take the best care of my self from the inside out. So here are a few pregnancy skin care essentials that are guaranteed to maintain your glow and are all considered safe for you and your growing bump.
- Belli Anti-Blemish Face Wash $22 Hormonal changes during pregnancy can make your skin go haywire. While this isn’t the case for every mama-to-be, it happens to a good percentage of women. To keep skin clear, look for a line like this one from Belli, especially made for pregnancy with natural anti-bacterial ingredients and free of anything harmful that’s considered teratogenic or can dry out overly sensitive skin.
- Mustela Stretch Marks Double Action $46 This super penetrating hydrator contains ingredients that boost skin’s elasticity to help prevent the dreaded stretch marks. It’s free of ingredients like paragons and phthalates so you can breathe a sigh of relief.
- Clarisonic Plus Sonic Skin Cleansing for Face & Body $149 I’ve always been a huge fan of the Clarisonic. It’s like a power washer for your face. Pregnancy can make skin dry, but you want to reduce the amount of products you use. So this handy dandy tool helps to slough off dead cells. You can use it on your face and body.
- Mama Bee Nourishing Body Oil $8 Sweet almond and lemon oils plus vitamin E restores softness to dry spots. I love how you can use this oil anywhere from lips to cracked feet and dry nails.
- Mama Mio Gorgeous Glow Facial Swipes $16 If you’re like me and have fallen asleep on the couch by 8 PM throughout your entire pregnancy, these wipes are for you. I keep them on my nightstand and wash my face in bed most nights because I am *that* tired. Although not the best habit, it’s better than nothing. Plus they contain antioxidants and vitamins to help maintain that “pregnancy glow.”
Yay for the holidays! I love this time of year, from decorating to eating and celebrating it all in style. This year, especially, I feel like doing it all. Believe it or not, when I am not working, I wear very minimal makeup. But I am planning to dress up and celebrate this year a lot. I love the look of a smokey eye. But at the same time, it can feel a bit too much for me. So here are two palettes that not only give you a subtle dressed up eye, but are also super easy to use. Once you find your favorite, remember to keep the rest of your makeup really subtle, with a skin-toned gloss and cheek color.
1. Bobbi Brown Long- Wear Eye Set $49 Bobbi Brown is known for her natural-looking makeup, yay for that. So this set is automatically going to give you a subtle look. But it’s also super easy to use. Plus, it’s gel formula won’t settle into fine lines and creases. It’s also long-wear, so it will last as long as you do at your next party (for me, that’s about 10 PM, max!). Just an FYI, it’s a limited edition set, so get it while it lasts.
2. NudeStix Go Nude Kit $49 This kit contains everything you need for the rest of your face so you don’t look like overkill when you do a smokey eye. Their skin-toned shades work on both lips and cheeks. Plus, they contain shea butter, vitamin E and peptides to plump up skinny-looking lips.
3. Too Faced Eye Smokey Eye Shadow Collection $32.40 What’s so great about this kit is that it literally tells you what goes where. No more shadow confusion! The colors are a bit more intense if you want to really have a dramatic look, too.
I love makeup. More so, I love makeup that simplifies. I am a busy lady, traveling for work, social plans, etc. etc. Who isn’t? That’s why makeup that actually works for you and makes life easier is the ultimate find. Here are 3 new products that make you look gorge on the go.
Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Lip Palette makeupforever.com choose a color family for your face (warm, cool, etc.) with 5 super shiny lipsticks that fit into a mini compact.
HourGlass Cosmetics Ambient Lighting Powder at sephora take it from a girl who does TV, lighting makes all the difference in the way your skin looks. This powder palette softens and diffuses the way light looks on your skin.
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara toofaced.com. I never leave home without mascara – never. Mascara is a must to open your eyes and just look awake. This mascara deserves a good spot in your makeup drawer. From the curved brush to the non-clumping formula, one coat makes lashes look gorgeous.
Quick – what’s better for you a body scrub or a dry brush? Last week I was on The Talk on CBS giving the audience a quiz on shower smarts. You’d be surprised how even the smallest changes to your shower skin care routine can make a major difference, especially when it comes to dryness. Now that we are moving into winter, it’s even more important to think about how you take care of your skin in the shower. The first thing you should do is look for a super hydrating body wash. I like Olay Ultra Moisture Body wash, which will keep your skin clean, refreshed, and moisturized all day.
So how shower smart are you? Watch here and take my shower smart quiz.